Tuesday 19 May 2015

Day one - When did you start dressing gyaru?

Hello everyone, as I have been stuck on topics for my posts recently I thought I'd start the Gyaru meme! I wont be posting everyday but I will post consistently. 
I have briefly explained how I got into Gyaru subculture in one of my previous posts but it mainly summarised how I developed in Japanese fashion overall.
Most fashion styles I try straight away - I buy the clothes and fix my make-up and that's pretty much it - I'm now Fairy kei/ creepy cute/Cult party kei etc.! However, with Gyaru I never really had that sudden starting point, it was very gradual (when I started developing the style more seriously).

I learned from my mistake back in 2012 for Hyper Japan that I suddenly decided to try out Hime Gyaru. Having no experience wearing circle lenses, Japanese false lashes or even contouring I was pretty much just working with the make-up knowledge and the clothes I had at the time. I made hair accessories for my outfit and used my natural hair to try to achieve the Hime "bump" which was also a bad mistake. My hair is naturally very dark brown - almost black (as you can see in the image above on the left hand side) which made me feel as though that colour with the beehive may give me a similar appearance to Amy Winehouse. Nothing against her or anything but it clearly wasn't the image I was striving for.
I realised there was a lot more to Gyaru than just clothes because even working with what I had did not achieve the effect I wanted.
Here was my attempt back in the days when I thought Gyaru would be easily recognisable and easy to pull off. I look back now and I see nothing gyaru-able about it except maybe the DreamV inspired shoes I made xD. Also DAT MAKE-UP THO. I remember I drew on my bottom lashes >  <.

A few months later I began wearing wigs, using circle lenses and wearing Japanese false lashes which when put together started to resemble Gyaru make. From there I just accidentally expanded and ended up a Gyaru! As usual I could not pick a subculture to stick to so I've tried out most of the styles I am interested in ^^. My first favourite was Hime because it felt like a more wearable version of Lolita!
It wasn't until July 2013 that I properly began calling myself Gyaru and wearing it practically everyday. I'm relatively new to Gal and to the community so I still have a lot to learn but from here I will show you all my progress from then until now ^^
August 2012
January 2013
August 2013
September 2013
February 2014
March 2014
June 2014
July 2014
July 2014
September 2014

November 2014
November 2014
December 2014
February 2015
April 2015
May 2015
May 2015
That's all for now folks!
Bye Bye!

9 comments:

  1. I love your Hime looks! I like the august 2013 look, very inspiring ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have improved so much, I hope I can do the same! You can pull off so many styles, too <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :))
      I'm sure you will! Everyone does, it just comes naturally after a while :)
      Aw thank you so much, that means a lot (': I like to experiment but sometimes I wonder if I look a bit silly xD

      Delete
  3. Wow, you've improved so much! Loving the development :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your versatility. <3 I didn't realise you officially 'became' gal so recently! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you :))
      Yeah I haven't really been officially gal for a long time, I still wear other styles too because its hard to stick to one xD but its nice to practise the make-up.
      I really admire how you do yours, you look amazing! :3

      Delete